How are you feeling today?
Happy, sad, angry, frustrated, relaxed, calm, lethargic, enthusiastic, optimistic, hopeless, or agitated? There are so many emotions a person feels.
However, if you feel happy today and sad the next day, and for no immediate reason, start crying or feel depressed, you may be suffering from mood swings.
Mood swings, as the name suggests, swing you from one intense mood to another. It can put the best swinging pendulum to shame!
Defining mood swings
Women, generally, get mood swings thanks to their “swinging” hormones. But men may also suffer from them.
These are rapid and intense alterations in mood. It can vary from small to significant changes in the emotional state of mind in daily life. At times, even the sufferer is baffled by what is happening to her or him.
Mood swings could also be a sign of chronic depression.
Many times, pregnant women suffer from mood swings. Monthly periods also bring a bout of swings (PMS). Women are more prone to mood swings due to various biological events in their lives like menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause that are characterized by huge hormonal shifts.
If you are unable to handle your mood swings, you can consult a therapist or a lady doctor. Choose the best doctor from the female gynecologist list in Noida.
Causes of mood swings
There isn’t a single trigger. Psychologists have found that several things combine to trigger a change in mood.
- Bipolar disorder: Patients of this type of depression are highly vulnerable to having mood swings. They may react intensely to any situation. They also find it hard to adjust or control their emotional state of mind.
- Alteration in brain chemistry: When the brain has abnormal levels of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter, you may get mood swings. Even a mild imbalance can throw your emotional health off track.
- Prolonged stress: People who stay stressed for long periods, say months, are more prone to develop mood swings. They also have a tendency to react intensely to a situation; for example, blowing off their lids at a slight provocation or bursting into tears at the slightest criticism.
- Alcoholism and drug addiction: Drugs like cocaine are found to cause mood swings. Drugs, according to studies, alter the chemistry of brain.
- Excess consumption of sugar: According to a research, consuming processed foods, refined foods, and sugary foods lead to major fluctuations in the levels of blood sugar. This can make you feel europhic for some time and then make you plunge into despondency.
Symptoms of mood swings
- You stay in a continuous stressful state
- You become angry fast
- You are unable to sleep well at night
- You tend to stay irritated, frustrated, agitated, and anxious
Take therapy. Do not ignore severe mood swings. It can create problems in your professional and personal life. Some people tend to seclude themselves and hamper their social life.
Besides, when you show intense emotions, not all people may understand you. They may avoid you. Some may label you as “grumpy” or “moody” or say other hurtful words.
Please refer to the female gynecologist list in Noida and choose the best doctor. Talk to her.